DDay-ish Unity project

Topics relating to D-Day modeling/coding/skinning etc.

Moderator: Rab,d

Parts
Developer
Developer

DDay-ish Unity project

Post by Parts » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:21 pm

Is now dead!
Last edited by Parts on Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Re: DDay-ish Unity project

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:57 am

Shooting from you head? Man that has to hurt.

Good luck with this.

Parts
Developer
Developer

Post by Parts » Thu May 28, 2015 1:43 pm

blah
Last edited by Parts on Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Fri May 29, 2015 2:12 am

Damn, now I feel embarrassed.

Looking good though.

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Fri May 29, 2015 1:14 pm

It looks to me like you have made the map. I don't know how you scale the cliff, or if you can blow things up like the bunker, or how to score points and win. But that looks great. Landing Craft?

Parts
Developer
Developer

Post by Parts » Fri May 29, 2015 2:29 pm

The map is by no means "made". The 3 bunkers are just quick bodge jobs using Unitys cubes and not even textured properly. They should be remodelled properly with max or sketchup. Hedgehogs and other obstacles need modelling and placing. Landing craft need modelling too.
The player controller is still the basic one included with Unity 5 and so does things that it shouldn't and doesn't do things it should. One of the things it does, is to climb the cliffs just by jumping a few times. There are cut away paths beside each bunker that can be walked/run up and should have machine gun nests there or something. The stuff it doesn't do yet, are things like crouch and prone.
My main concern is really the network stuff and the player controller and the maps I have knocked up are just the result of playing around with the editor to have an environment to test the important stuff. None of the maps have anything that can be blown up. Eventually, blowing stuff up can and will be in place, but for now, for me, network and controller are the priority. This is why I'd like an established mapper to jump in. I'd like an established coder to jump in too really, but they are few and far between. Mappers...well, I think everyone who has ever downloaded dday has made a map :D
Have you looked at the map with the web player link? or just going by the screenshots?

Julhelm

Post by Julhelm » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:30 pm

Use FBX format for importing stuff you make in max into Unity. The best workflow would be to build singular prop objects in max and then build the levels in the Unity editor. When I worked on Battlefield 3 this was the way all of the levels were built. You can easily build modular sections of walls, sandbags, bunkers etc and place them easily using the snap functions if you model them on grid units in max.

The default shaders that come with Unity are pretty lacklustre. I'd recommend dropping 90 bucks on Marmoset Skyshop that gives you image-based lighting. We used it on our latest game Atlantic Fleet.

*Edit:

Just checked out the unity player. It is entirely feasible to build the terrain mesh itself in max and might even be preferable if you have to include many angular features like dug out trenches and tunnels. Trenches and tunnels can be made modular and instanced in the editor with their own collision volumes. The default unity terrain isn't exactly a wonder of optimization, either.

Good luck with the project!

Parts
Developer
Developer

Post by Parts » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:20 pm

thanks, but it's dead and buried now
Last edited by Parts on Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:28 pm

I am going off the images. Don't know what the other thing you spoke of is.

Parts
Developer
Developer

Post by Parts » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:07 pm

the webplayer link....the game so far....things move about and make a noise :D

Parts
Developer
Developer

Post by Parts » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:28 pm

Giving up on this. It's taking far too much time and effort for me on my own while getting little to no interest back.

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:05 am

Understand. As I said I am concentrating on the hi res textures for some maps. Perhaps in a few months we talk and work of making a pro package?