Rab,d DDay2 Resources on Dropbox

Topics relating to D-Day modeling/coding/skinning etc.

Moderator: Rab,d

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Rab,d DDay2 Resources on Dropbox

Post by Rab,d »

Hey guys/gals.
I am opening my DDay2 development folder to anyone who wishes to use stuff from it. As i get more space i will add my other "raw" resource folders..like models, base textures, tons of tools/utilities apps, etc. If you plan on signing up for dropbox...let me know..and i'll invite you via email first. I get free space from referrals. ;)

This /dday2/ folder goes in your D-Day Normandy/ or Quake2/ folder.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/55oot9g1xuok6yn/YHvelqkuHs

This stuff is all super alpha..lol. But, you can run the maps if you had the dday2 dev kit installed that includes the /scripts folder in /base2. When i get more space i'll include my entire D-Day Normandy/ folder.
Some of the maps/zips in here are Munfs. You must ask permission to modify. I included them because they are part of the project and mappers could learn from them aswell.
Night Rider

Re: Rab,d DDay2 Resources on Dropbox

Post by Night Rider »

Wow Rab,d what a wonderful collection of DDay files. I will need to make a lot of room here to download everything that is there. :D By the way how many gigs of files you have there in dropbox.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid"
John Wayne

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun »

Oh, cool, what maps did you use?
ddaydude

Post by ddaydude »

Nice! Ralbed! :o. . I want to use some of the files for the DDay Normandy Desura page to it update with your permission of your files.
An update is needed! We though you died or went AWOL looool

Check my desura dday page!
http://www.desura.com/games/dday-normandy
Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

Good to see you guys. You, too...Quaker. :P

Feel free to explore the folders and use what ever you find in there. It's a bit of a mess...the combinartion of a few salvaged hds...missing a couple hds worth of stuff, though. :(

Does anyone have the file for the Dev kit(thread below this one)?

I'd like to make a comprehensive alpha version installer soon. Maybe 5 complete maps or something. It would be a much better idle point than it's current state. ;)
Night Rider

Post by Night Rider »

Rab,d check out my Download web site second one down and look at the link if that is the file your looking for. http://home.comcast.net/~ddaynormandy/
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid"
John Wayne

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

Night Rider wrote:Rab,d check out my Download web site second one down and look at the link if that is the file your looking for. http://home.comcast.net/~ddaynormandy/
Yes. Thx. I'll update the link in it's thread.
Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

I just noticed that Rabid says you need permission to modify maps and some are mine.

I here by grant people the right to modify those maps if you so choose for the EGL and other dday related projects.
Bill Stokes
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill Stokes »

The copyright holder is the only one that can change the rules; mynf is right ~ someone cannot host copyright files that are 'open' and produce rules to stop them being used as intended.

The headers in the files should say so much, if they do not, it still doesn't matter. The files are still released under their original intent.

Example from mynf:
This 12 map campaign is for use by the Quake2 WWII Total Conversion D-Day: Normandy. I still retain the copyright but gift them to that community. These maps will work with the mod or standalone version of D-Day found on the D-Day homepage: http://www.planetquake.com/dday

INSTALLATION:
To install this campaign, unzip the munf files to your dday folder.

* Munf Map Group *
=============================================================================

The first 7 maps are loosely based on events of the first day of the Normandy landing June 6 1944, starting with paratrooper drops, then landings on beaches the pushing inwards for inland fighting.

The last 5 are Russian maps loosely based on almost any battle in The East.

I strove to make them both fun to play and to look at. We will see if I suceeded.

These maps will run in rotation on its their, so a server owner will have a 12 map set that runs in cycle should the owner not want to sit and load maps.

Now some credits. Ofcourse ID Software for this wonderful toy to play with, to the Vipersoft people for for developing this MOD of Quake 2, and to all the mappers of the community who reared me, coaxed me, cajolled me, insulted me, and demanded I do better. I thank you all. In particular I want to thank Castrator for his willingness to train me. I was a self important snot when I started this and spoke to him as such, and I appreciate his ability and willingness to let that slide and to engage me and direct me. I am in his debt. I wish I hadn't been such an ass, but this speaks well of Castrator.

I created some of the textures, you will know most of them because they start with "munf" though there are others. However the vast majority I used from the community storehouse of textures, into which the ones I used will now go.

I used some others that were only available to me, but which will now pass in to the community. In particular Asian Babe gave me a rather choice set I used extensively.

Also cf_mansionq2 was a find on the web that you will see all over - here is the text provided for them

Mansion Texture Set v1.0 May 17, 1999
======================================================================

File: various wal files
Author: Crista Forest, aka "CD Warrior"
E-mail: cdwarrior@usa.net, csforest@planetunreal.com
Web Pages: http://www.planetunreal.com/forest/
http://www.planetquake.com/infinity/
http://www.foreststudios.com

This is an original texture art set originally created by Crista Forest
for use in Unreal based level creation and later converted to Quake2 format.

"These textures were designed for use in an Unreal level that was based
on the theme of a plantation mansion. I got the idea from a visit to
Jamaica and pictures of the Rose Hall plantation there. However, my
textures and level were only inspired by the mansion. They are not meant
to be an accurate representation of it.

"There are approximately 60 original textures in this set which I
personally created. You may use these textures in your own Quake2
map for personal enjoyment only. You may NOT use these images for
commercial purposes without my written permission. When distributing
these textures please distribute them in their original .wal form as
a set and include this .txt file. Please do not distribute individual
textures or import them into other game texture sets. Thank you."

--Crista Forest, aka CD Warrior

******* And Cshrine4q2 - these are the cool burned textures and a lot of the snow textures

Celtic Shrine Texture Set for Q2 March 3, 1999
======================================================================

File: cshrine4q2.zip (contains various wal files)
Author: Crista Forest, aka "CD Warrior"
E-mail: cdwarrior@usa.net, csforest@planetunreal.com
Web Pages: http://www.planetunreal.com/forest/
http://www.planetquake.com/infinity/
http://www.foreststudios.com

These textures are in wal format for use in Quake2 level editing. The set was originally designed for use in an Unreal level. The level was based on the theme of a Celtic shrine which had been burned and ransacked. There are approximately 45 original textures in this set which I personally created. You may use these textures in your own Quake2 map for personal enjoyment only. You may NOT use any of these wal files for commercial purposes without my written permission. When distributing this textures please distribute them together in their original form and with this txt file. Thank you.

*******In addition dt_nyc

By Dethtex

http://users.nac.net/schwenz/

schwenz@evilfucker.com

Please give credit where credit is due.

Free for use if you follow the above rule and it's non commercial use.

******* and Golotha Textures

This is a set of Golgotha Textures.

The Golgotha Texture set, is freeware.
You can get infos regarding Golgotha at [http://www.crack.com]

******* If you feel your name is missing from these credits and would like your name added please contact me at dsm@tns.net, dougmc1@cox.net or PM me through the DDay forums.

=============================================================================
* COPYRIGHT / PERMISSIONS *
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will probably be using these as a sort of resume to various gaming companies, but I totally recognize the rights of all involved and will not in any way represent your work as mine. I laid out the map, did some textures, sounds, environments, but your work is acknowledged and will be revealed as such should I be asked.

Authors MAY use any textures designed for this campaign for their own free dday maps. However give acknowledgement, especially the ones I included above. These people are not in the dday community so give them their proper recognition.

Authors MAY NOT decompile these levels as a base to build additional levels.

You MUST NOT distribute this map pack UNLESS you INCLUDE THIS FILE WITH
NO MODIFICATIONS.

These LEVELS may be distributed ONLY over the Internet and/or BBS systems.
You are NOT authorized to put these LEVELS on any commercial CD or to distribute them for any commercial purposes. You may put these LEVELS on CD for personal non-commercial use.

Quake II (C) 1998-99 id Software. All rights reserved.
Now, knowing mynf (or not, as the Internet works), this is black and white.

Nick
Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

That is all true. I was giving right to the egl maps i made.

But all those textures are from others and they say you have to put in their messages.

A lot of mine are me shooting bushes and walls around where I live. But still, you shouldn't just take things without acknowledging the sources as the sources want it.
Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

I have started working on DDay Normandy2 again.
Here's my entire working game folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/55oot9g1xuok6yn/YHvelqkuHs

You can download it as a .zip or use dropbox and sync with it.

Run egl.exe +set game dday2

You can play normal dday maps with this and also the new maps.

I am currently working on my prison map. prison_3.bsp is the most current.

Things to do:

-clean up broken shaders, models, textures
-organize and discard un-needed files
-add many more custom textures
-add more models and prefabs
-complete 5 map campaign
-customize egl graphics(replace images for explosions, bullet trails, smoke, maybe decals too)

Pipe dream list:

-finish new player models for atleast USA nd German teams
-finish new weapon models
-revamp egl engine
-create game launcher with autoupdate and some type of rss feed from website.
InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo »

It's too large to copy to my own Dropbox (default 2Gb account) and it's too large to download as a zip (says dropbox), can you host the whole package somewhere?
Boons
Developer
Developer

Post by Boons »

I am interested in contributing.

Is the mirc channel back up? or is there another way to communicate with people that want to do this.

Have we considered going to an id4 engine if possible? as that is open source now as well.
Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

Boons wrote:I am interested in contributing.

Is the mirc channel back up? or is there another way to communicate with people that want to do this.

Have we considered going to an id4 engine if possible? as that is open source now as well.
Can't do that without a code guy.

And great...let's form a team. I see I missed some activity you and darkstar had done. We have munf's work , also.
I have to insist that we use custom textures. For 2 reasons. One is I want to be original..the other is quality. Without modern texture advances like ambient occlusion, specular lighting, bump mapping, etc....we have to have very sweet textures to make up for this.

I made this texture the other day...it took me a couple hours to get the texture made along with the alpha channel and the correct shader. Textures like this are much harder, but there won't be many to do. Other textures I can churn out more quickly. So, et's work together...you guys are making maps? Well...let me know what kind of textures you want and description and i'll make them.
(getting the transparency just right was tricky. See how the moon shows through?) ;)
InFerNo wrote:It's too large to copy to my own Dropbox (default 2Gb account) and it's too large to download as a zip (says dropbox), can you host the whole package somewhere?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B17KDX ... sp=sharing
Boons
Developer
Developer

Post by Boons »

That looks good :) I was screwing around with making custom textures as well. I know the irritation of alpha channeling haha.

I had made a map but it hugely needed optimization or egl couldnt handle it. Another issue with it was the player models would not show up... not really sure why. I will see if I still have it on my external HD.

We should find a code guy then :)

http://www.thedarkmod.com/posts/free-st ... available/ an example of a quake 4 standalone mod.
Boons
Developer
Developer

Post by Boons »

Still looking to see if there is somewhere we can get on to work on this as a "team" mirc.. steam.. whatever.. forums are too slow :)

Steam="Boons"

I loaded quakenet / ddayhome MIRC
Boons
Developer
Developer

Post by Boons »

I am making a small town map with a river through the middle.. I want really "dark" brick textures for housing/buildings if you have time :)
Boons
Developer
Developer

Post by Boons »

Hey rabid which folder could I find that overgrown vine texture/which shader file is it in?