D-Day2 new stuff thread

Topics relating to D-Day modeling/coding/skinning etc.

Moderator: Rab,d

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Re: D-Day2 new stuff thread

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Sat May 15, 2010 5:00 pm

Ok I down loaded them, will have to retexture them but can add them to the pile.

Dice

Post by Dice » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:35 pm

how about a simple one.. How to make the map completely dark.. like i changed the worldspawn ambiant setting to pretty much 1 and it got kinda dark. i remember i could change that and it would be completely dark.

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:48 am

Because worldspawn doesn't do the lighting in EGL

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:26 am

If you are using one of the sky textures that is included in the kit...it adds sunlight.
I wouldn't go 100% dark. You won't be able to see players unless they are near a light. Here's a shot of the shader below in action:
\
Add this to the end of rbd_skies_1.shader in dday2/scripts and to rbd_skies_1.shd in baseq2/scripts.

Code: Select all

textures/skies/darknight
{
	qer_editorimage textures/skies/darknight.jpg
	skyparms - 512 -
	q3map_sunExt 1 1 1 20 345 75 4 16
	q3map_lightmapFilterRadius 0 8
	q3map_skyLight 10 3
	surfaceparm sky
	surfaceparm noimpact
	surfaceparm nolightmap
	surfaceparm nodlight
	surfaceparm nomarks
	nopicmip
	nomipmaps
	{
		map textures/skies/darknight.jpg
		tcMod scale 1 1
		rgbGen identityLighting
	}
}
and add this to dday2/textures/skies

try an ambient of 10
or _floodlight 1 1 1 512 10 in worldspawn(better ambient lighting)

InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:45 pm

man completely dark maps would own

That's actually how dday2 should've looked, as the skybox implies it's night time :)

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:59 pm

I made two really dark maps for airborne, but people hated them because you could sneak up on them with out being seen. Guess it depended on if you were the sneaker or sneakee.

Dice

Post by Dice » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:28 pm

works. thanks. i been messing around with some sweet ideas. that 2nd screen shot rab,d is like perfect for what im looking for. light enought to see everything but still dark to really make the lighting im using and the textures i have been working on really stand out. ill play with it a bit a maybe post a small screenshots. gotta take the trees out tho. trying to get those sexy trees u been using to work.

Fafner
Developer
Developer

Post by Fafner » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:38 pm

add this to one of the info_team_start

fullbright 1

and the players will always be lit up. Then you can make it as dark as you want and don't have to worry about the gameplay being terrible.
1RB: http://www.1rb.mav.net
Speedway: http://www.ddaydev.com/speedway
If you need help, start a thread. That way other people can learn from the information given. DON'T PM ME unless it's necessary.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:26 pm

Made an animated torch this weekend. It's for a map i started. A cave that has axis buried at the end in a large cavern. Allies enter cave mouth. This map is 95% model(s). The cave, including the cavern, is one .md3 model. :)

Munf has a few or so maps in the works and i have a few to finish. Maybe a couple more by others. We'll need a dedicated server here soon to test these out. Gonna start releasing this stuff.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:08 pm

I worked on customizing the game interface today for EGL. I am getting things in order to release a D-Day: Normandy 2 standalone installer.

download to your /dday folder.
http://www.filefront.com/17344484/Dday2_gi.pkz

TeRRor

Post by TeRRor » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:47 am

Rab,d wrote: I am getting things in order to release a D-Day: Normandy 2 standalone installer.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

JoeyBelgier

Post by JoeyBelgier » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:35 pm

the violator wrote:
GypsyLlama wrote:
the violator wrote:Rab'd do you know if there's a way to load Medal of Honor: Allied Assault maps up in EGL? MoHaa is based on the Quake 3 engine with some slight modifications and it uses the same model and map formats as Q3. There are some great maps in that game and it would be awesome if we could get them into dday. Unless there's some way to add the entities in an override file like r1q2, we'd probably have to decompile them and mess around with them and add dday entities. It'd take some work but it'd be really neat.

Lol are you serious? That game was hideous. Ugly beyond comparison. I strongly believe we have better mappers and texture artists in this community than the hacks who made that game. (myself excluded perhaps)
Are you thinking of the same game? The maps were great. Gameplay wasn't that good, but I loved the maps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x74-PeBq5B0
Rab,d wrote:I think you can do it. It's q3 .bsp but a diferent. I think you would convert it to q3a .bsp with q3map2 then just make an .ent file to add our spawn entities. I've done this many times before with other q3 .bsp maps from True Combat and Urban Terror. It's Urban Terror who is rewally protective of thei work, btw.
I wouldn't mess with mohaa stuff. First off...it's a commercial game..they have alot more reason to sue. And like gypsy said...it's not that great, anway. We could do better.
Sorry for the almost 1-year necropost but I'm one of those forum slumberers, recycling all information I can find :lol: I saw Rab,d actually visited the forums today so I'm going to necro this one.

To be honest, it is that great, and the "we could do better" part... a lot of maps just ain't, by far. The map "destroyed village" has been converted to about all CoD titles, without copyright problems it seems, otherwise they wouldn't still be up at FileFront. Could I ask you Rab, if you still have all the stuff you need to do it, to convert Destroyed Village to D-Day.

And if you don't actually want to give out the map files, just post a screenshot and my life'll be 1% closer to completion :-| **** yeah, I loved MoH:aa, too bad it didn't have ironsights.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 am

I started another new map. Not sure how this one will take shape...but i like the way it's looking. I am very happy with the texture set i made from scratch for the terrain and house. :) Gonna try and get a group of 5 or 6 of the maps i have so far together for testing soon. Gameplay testing.

Boons
Developer
Developer

Post by Boons » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:42 am

That looks awesome rabies.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Boons wrote:That looks awesome rabies.
Thanks, Boons. Hey your server could be useful for my testing grounds. My server just isn't good enough, atm. Let me know if you are willing to use it this way.

Boons
Developer
Developer

Post by Boons » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:46 am

ya I definitely am willing

Boons
Developer
Developer

Post by Boons » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:33 pm

Rabid.. What help do you need to get this going?

I know Inferno and myself have been chatting for awhile and we would both really like to see this game further progress.

First off, I have no idea how to develop a game, not the slightest idea where to even start. But I am willing to learn, and put time in to see this succeed. I have been screwing around with quark and I have a decent grasp on how she works, I do believe I could assist in creating maps for this in the way of prefabs.

DDay has its own style of gameplay which is great. Its somewhat realistic, but not to the point where its hard to get kills. Its fast paced but not the point you get overwhelmed. There is not a ww2 shooter out there that compares in my eyes. I love the small maps with all infantry based gameplay. The only problem is the lack of player base, and that issue derives straight from the visuals. Now anyone that has played this game before can put up with the shit the q2 engine, but new players with any sort of pc would not touch it. I know some people might say all we need to do is advertise, that is not the case. I say this because I have tried this numerous times. Pretty much any free MMO, FPS multiplayer forum google produces that is in active use I have tried to advertise for dday. And guess what dday is still lacking a playerbase. A common reply, graphics look shit, will not try.

Why are we not getting organized on one page and working on things together. Atleast for those of us wanting to see the game evolve further. If anyone at all is willing to help we should be getting them to pitch in somehow. If they are willing to learn TEACH. Once we know how to do something we can actually create new content. As opposed to leaving it all for one person to do. 5 or 6 people working on something will get it done alot faster then one person working on it. Put the manpower to use.

In my mind goals for this:

New player models for AXIS and ALLIES first, others can come with time.
Base allied model is already done by rabies - just class editing and work on animations and they would be perfect. ( I think I can edit the skins to make different classes)
New weapon models for AXIS and ALLIES
m1 done.
Allied mg done.
Mauser - There is a nice version out that the animations just need be edited.

New Campaign for dday. Throw backs to the orginal dday 1-5 would be sweet.

- Do you need textures? I can work on making a high quality texture package. They can be .jpg for egl right? Any restrictions on size?

To finish this all off we would then need to advertise it.

Advertise it as a small squad Infantry based game. Keep that as our focus.

DDay is a great game.. Deserves more attention. I want to see this game progress. Lets get organized and slowly work towards this goal.....

TRUE

Post by TRUE » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:12 pm

Those pictures looks good , i think making same game with same gameplay but with better graphics would be awesome , it should be called D-Day Normandy 2 , maybe more people start play after that release.
How much time is needed to be finished?

darkstar

Post by darkstar » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:02 pm

Boons wrote:Rabid.. What help do you need to get this going?

I have been screwing around with quark and I have a decent grasp on how she works, I do believe I could assist in creating maps for this in the way of prefabs.
IF u are going to make prefabs, I would love to help.PS. u only screwed around with quark cause u were helping me and i found out why there is a random leak sometimes in maps
Sgt.Darkstar, 101st Airborne, Received the Medal of Honor and the Purple Heart

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
-George S. Patton

Fafner
Developer
Developer

Post by Fafner » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:26 pm

No one here was "taught" how to do things so I don't know if anyone is going to want to take the time to do that. You probably need to get 3dsmax, then just search for tutorials for making weapon models and try to follow them. If you have specific questions after that, then I'm sure people would help you.
1RB: http://www.1rb.mav.net
Speedway: http://www.ddaydev.com/speedway
If you need help, start a thread. That way other people can learn from the information given. DON'T PM ME unless it's necessary.

DuckHunter

Post by DuckHunter » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:56 am

What about this dday2?

TeRRor

Post by TeRRor » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:21 am

DuckHunter wrote:What about this dday2?
Dday2 is Rab,d's magic stuff.

Paul

Post by Paul » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:04 pm

Magic stuff mm-hmm. :wink:
ஜ۩۞۩ஜ
"We used poisonous gasses, and we poisoned their asses."

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:38 pm

I have been trying to compose my thoughts on this whole deal. Sorry for the delayed response.
I think the main thing we have to consider is being realistic with our expectations and goals.
Remaking all the weapon models...is daunting, timre consuming and a long way off for completion at the rate we are going. ;)
Remaking the player models is more obtainable. We should contrentrate on this first before other animated models. I do not have Parts' animation skeletal set. But, the one i do have form my allied player was painstakingly made frame by frame to match the current shaef animations to within a very small tolerance. lol. I had 2 windows up at a time..one with the .md2 original and one with my new one...eyeballed to grid at well as i could with the new one and rolled with it. :) The sheaf animations for the player models is one of the best assets the game has. Copying the animations allows you do introduce these models with no code change and cohesion with the original .md2 w_ models is maintained.

We have to think of what really makes the game feel more modern. The original weapons can make it in the new game. But, the maps are what kill us. square corners, no blending, 8bit, no shader driven stuff. We can make new, well built maps very easily in the q3 format. That's where EGL comes in. Sure R1GL is good in many ways....but, without the advancement in the bsp....we are just nice weapons and retextures in lego land.
Good sounds are within our grasp, too.
We need to customize EGL to dday. Make it more R1CH compliant, incorporate a custom hud and menu with autupdate. Including replacing the effects pics and textures. Any bugs and maybe cutting out the way EGL searchers for all these formats...we can narrow that down to a few stadard formats we will use for everything and then it wiill load maps alot faster.
So... this is my plan. In order of priority.
-make q3 .bsp maps and campaigns
-make new player models
-continue to produce new textures/shaders and static models
-work on EGL engine
-sounds
-v_ and w_ weapon models

Any help with this would be awesome.

Boons
Developer
Developer

Post by Boons » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:13 pm

rabid are you able to idle on mirc? so we can talk when you are on?