Developers' Start Kit for DDay2(dday+) v1.0

Topics relating to D-Day modeling/coding/skinning etc.

Moderator: Rab,d

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Developers' Start Kit for DDay2(dday+) v1.0

Post by Rab,d » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:04 am

Well, i forced myself to push this out...seams like good timing. There are a few of you that have shown recent interest in mapping for this. So...i will not make you wait any longer. :)

I am not completely happy with or for that matter...not complete with the base resources that are included. The shaders need more tweaking, more models and textures needed. A whole bunch of other stuff that is needed. I figured..get this out and see what the mappers ask for...rather then just trying to create a bunch of random content that may or may not be used.
I did create a nice resource folder structure that should keep things organized and easily referenced. eg.(textures\wood, textures\blended_terrain, textures\metal, etc). Same with the models.
A Quark addon is included in the \tools\quark_addons folder. This is a highly refined version of Part's datanormandy.qrk with all but a couple of the new entities that have been added since shaef was released. It has many other tweaks like taking you to the \models explorer view to choose, rather than having to hand enter the location. I did this with adding sounds, too. I'll be releasing a similar version for regular q2 dday mapping, too. I haven't got that together just yet.

To install:

download this: http://home.comcast.net/~quake2wod/down ... V_v1.0.zip
unzip to your \D-Day Normandy folder. You may have it as \quake2 or something else...Unzip to the folder that your \dday folder is in. :P

If you do not have Quake6.6 beta 3, yet...download it here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/quark/files/
Tis zip includes the Quark addon for DDay2. Find it in the \tools\quark_addons folder. Copy and paste DataDDay2_v1.0.qrk to your Quark folder.
run Quark...set Game to Quake 3
goto "configuration" and set your paths like this:

now go to "addons". You must delete the addons for Quake 3 Arena. Remove all but bezier_library.qrk and Q3ArchLib.qrk..then add DataDDay2_v1.0.qrk.

You can now start mapping.

To compile...i would set up my Configuration like this for starters.

After you are happy with your map...you can "publish it" by packing up the map, textures, sounds, models, shaders(shaders have to be taken from the \baseq2\scripts folder in the .shd extention...q3map2 uses the .shader twin to compile with from the \dday2\scripts folder. This is one of the tricks i had to use to get this to launch in egl right from quark for accurate testing.), etc in the standard folder format and save to .zip. You can find many examples of how a zip should be structured from other map .zips. You then change the .zip extention to .pkz for EGL to use. This .pkz is what you would post for EGL ddays could place irhgt in there \dday folder. So, it's really just us developer's that will have a seperate \dday2 game folder...this is just for organization. Not really creating a new game...just .pkz addons to vanilla dday.
If you guys have any quetions...please post them. I can explain any part of this to you.
Last edited by Rab,d on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fafner
Developer
Developer

Re: Developers' Start Kit for DDay2(dday+) v1.0

Post by Fafner » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:47 pm

I tried out the maps and the quark addon. Good work :)
1RB: http://www.1rb.mav.net
Speedway: http://www.ddaydev.com/speedway
If you need help, start a thread. That way other people can learn from the information given. DON'T PM ME unless it's necessary.

GypsyLlama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GypsyLlama » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:29 pm

Awesome, I'll see what I can do with this

-+LeeHarvey+-

Post by -+LeeHarvey+- » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:28 pm

How come it won't let me set the directory to my D-Day folder? It says its an invalid path.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:49 pm

-+LeeHarvey+- wrote:How come it won't let me set the directory to my D-Day folder? It says its an invalid path.
I'll make a mapkit questions thread.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:08 pm

Fafner wrote:I tried out the maps and the quark addon. Good work :)
Thx, Faf.

A few things to mention about mapping a q3 .bsp map.
-skies and sun are now set by a .shader . I have included 4 preset sky shaders. They automatically set up the sun angle and other factors per their corresponding skybox textures. You still have to set the "sky" in your worldspawn tree. You can use one shader and set a diferent sky from \env to be displayed. I'll help anyone with the skys for their map. I'll set up the shader and even make the skybox textures for you. You can use the original dday skys....but...i can easily make ones better for you that match the level of detail you should be putting into your maps for this.
-caulk should be used on all unseen faces. The addon sets the caulk texture as default so any polygon you insert starts out as all caulk.
-do not place .md2 models in these maps.
-you can use .mp3 sounds
-do not use .wal textures
Last edited by Rab,d on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:04 pm

I realized i missed a step in the install instructions. Before you install the addon in Quark...you must delete the addons for Quake 3 Arena. Remove all but bezier_library.qrk and Q3ArchLib.qrk..then add DataDDay2_v1.0.qrk.
This will get rid of the uneeded q3 fat and also set the "starter map" up correctly.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:27 am

A few things on resources.

-if you are going to import new textures or models...please break them out of their original folder and place them in the appropriate folders i have set up. One of things I remeber about mapping for dday...is how long it takes to browse through all the texture folders for just the right texture. This folder structure shoud help make that process quicker.
-any map that i will consider to include in the release of D-Day2 must be 99% original. So, if you plan on making a map with all RTCW textures or something...it won't get in. I'll help produce textures for you and if you need effects...I'll write the shader, too. Of course you can make maps with borrowed textures...you will just have to release it yourself as an independent map. This goes for models, too.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:30 am

a few things about shaders

-q3 .bsp does not use face flags like q2. Except the "detail" flag...which should be used on all small, non-vis blocking brushes.
Instead you texture the brush with a shader from the \common texture folder. Use them the same way as flags.
-ladders do work in these maps...but it has an extra step. When making a ladder...create your ladder brush and texture it how you like...then create a new brush and place it just in front of the ladder you made...maybe a 1/2 unit in front of it surface. The 2 brushes can overlap. Texture the one in front with the "ladder" shader from \common. This brush will be invisable and is what makes you climb.
-the "mirror" shader...does not work. If you ran the map in Q3A or Qfusion...they would...but EGL does not support portals/mirrors. Bummer, i know. It would be kewl to come into a room and see yourself in a mirror.

GypsyLlama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GypsyLlama » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:42 am

Rab,d wrote:I realized i missed a step in the install instructions. Before you install the addon in Quark...you must delete the addons for Quake 3 Arena. Remove all but bezier_library.qrk and Q3ArchLib.qrk..then add DataDDay2_v1.0.qrk.
This will get rid of the uneeded q3 fat and also set the "starter map" up correctly.
Ehm this is wrong. Delete everything but bezier_library.qrk, Q3ArchLib.qrk and Default.qrk

Quark will not open if you do not have the default.qrk addon

Also Quark will not open unless you have at least 1 supported game in the addons folder. Dday is not a supported game. Therefore do not delete the quake3 addon folder.

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:00 am

Work it out kids so I can make another map to not play.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:34 am

GypsyLlama wrote:
Rab,d wrote:I realized i missed a step in the install instructions. Before you install the addon in Quark...you must delete the addons for Quake 3 Arena. Remove all but bezier_library.qrk and Q3ArchLib.qrk..then add DataDDay2_v1.0.qrk.
Ehm this is wrong. Delete everything but bezier_library.qrk, Q3ArchLib.qrk and Default.qrk

Quark will not open if you do not have the default.qrk addon

Also Quark will not open unless you have at least 1 supported game in the addons folder. Dday is not a supported game. Therefore do not delete the quake3 addon folder.
I don't mean the Quake 3 addon folder or any .qrk files from the actual Quark directory... That's where default.qrk is...I mean in Quark..when you bring up addons. Just remove them from the installed addons list before you add DataDDay2_v1.0.qrk.

GypsyLlama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GypsyLlama » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:23 pm

Well.. it makes sense that if you're going to remove the "fat" from quark, you'd trim it off the harddrive too. Anyways that was just how I personally interpreted it at first and it made perfect sense to me.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:37 am

Yeah..i realize i used "delete" in my instructions...i should have said remove.

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:42 pm

So I installed the dday installer on drive G:\D-Day Normandy

I Installed the developer kit so it went into this folder.

I setup Quark at G:\QuArK 6.6.0 Beta 3

All of the configuration went fine until I got to the addons. DataDDay2_v1.0.qrk is over in the D-Day Normandy folder, not the Quark Folder, so it can't be seen.

Should I just copy it from Normandy and just paste it in the Quark folder?

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:08 pm

Mr. YOur no fun wrote:So I installed the dday installer on drive G:\D-Day Normandy

I Installed the developer kit so it went into this folder.

I setup Quark at G:\QuArK 6.6.0 Beta 3

All of the configuration went fine until I got to the addons. DataDDay2_v1.0.qrk is over in the D-Day Normandy folder, not the Quark Folder, so it can't be seen.

Should I just copy it from Normandy and just paste it in the Quark folder?
Yes. I had to put it somewhere...i don't know where everyone places their Quark. To copy and paste it is in the instuctions in the first post, btw. :P

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:40 pm

What, I am supposed to read what you wrote also?

Ok thanks will do.

Snipes

Post by Snipes » Fri May 28, 2010 8:11 pm

hey i got it all set up and stuff and i can make maps but there is something wrong with the compiler, i put the right command in at the configuration page but this is what i keep getting
Attachments
theprob.JPG
theprob.JPG (129.97 KiB) Viewed 20966 times
"We shouldn't mourn the men who died, instead we should thank the lord that such men existed"

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Sat May 29, 2010 6:28 am

IN Quark's configuration...go to each of the 3 command lines for the compiler and hit the "..." browse for file button. Locate the .exe...should be in /tools in the same folder you installed this pack. Make sure the "run tools from base directory" is NOT checked.

Grim
Developer
Developer

Post by Grim » Mon May 31, 2010 3:16 pm

I still got the q2mdlr .aqm guns for that solo gdday standalone thing
and i managed to dig up some of the skins on an old hd
if you can use them lemme know and ill post them

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:02 am

Sure post them.

BoonsWrongaccount

Post by BoonsWrongaccount » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:52 pm

I get this error when I try and "test" a map
Attachments
hmm.jpg
hmm.jpg (178.9 KiB) Viewed 20567 times

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:46 am

check the comment to the post 3 up from this one.
You need to set the paths correctly in configuration.

BoonsWrongaccount

Post by BoonsWrongaccount » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:02 pm

I did I went and browesed the path right through conig

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:18 pm

There might be something wrong with the .exe. Try a regular version of q3map2.
Or maybe that one has problems with your operating system. Is that Windows7?