Programming

Topics relating to D-Day modeling/coding/skinning etc.

Moderator: Rab,d

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Daniel
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Programming

Post by Daniel » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:54 pm

What was D-Day Nomandy written in?
And does anyone know any good free compilers?

Shrewd

Re: Programming

Post by Shrewd » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:34 pm

Well the sources were available on ddaynormandy.com if I'm right...

They're compiled in C, and there are lots of free compilers.

I've worked with DevC++, its nice to learn but not very good debugging.
Also, there's Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 C++ Express Edition (that is free), think there's a 2005 edition too.
Some alternatives for linux users are NetBeans and Eclipse (witch are also available for Windows)

Daniel
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Daniel » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:16 am

ok thanks.

InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:00 pm

Shrewd wrote:Well the sources were available on ddaynormandy.com if I'm right...

They're compiled in C, and there are lots of free compilers.

I've worked with DevC++, its nice to learn but not very good debugging.
Also, there's Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 C++ Express Edition (that is free), think there's a 2005 edition too.
Some alternatives for linux users are NetBeans and Eclipse (witch are also available for Windows)
To compile on linux you need GCC (Gnu C Compiler)

To do this, go to the source, look for the dir with the makefile and write 'make' :)

Shrewd

Post by Shrewd » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:56 pm

Well that is true too, but I'm used to IDE compilers :P

pendragon

Post by pendragon » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:21 pm

An IDE is not a compiler, in fact some IDE's support a number off different compilers, for example Dev C++ is usually associated with the MinGw compiler, but can be configured to use other compilers also, such as the windows port of GCC, or the microsoft compiler.

There are plenty of other free alternatives too, Eclipse and NetBeans were already mentioned, Code:Blocks, Djgpp, and of course Visual Studio 2008 Express.

@shrewd : yes there is also Visual Studio 2003 and 2005, but why use those if you can use 2008? The express edition has everything most will need for development.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

New Sound Pak : pak4.rar

Shrewd

Post by Shrewd » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:47 pm

Yup I know but I don't complicate myself changing compilers :P. Just wanted to name some ones.
Well I usually have some troubles trying to port old projects (2003 or 2005 to 2008) but yup, I agree the lastest version uses to be the best.
I've insisted to my teacher to use the 2008 edition in class :D

I've heard there's even a beta version of the new one coming. 2009? Don't know the name.

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:53 pm

Well what should a fist time programer use? I`m going to be learning C++ and maybe PHP this summer...

Shrewd

Post by Shrewd » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:42 am

Visual Studio 2008 Express Editions, no doubt for me.

InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:01 pm

For PHP you can use any texteditor with syntax highlighting.

I advise you install WampServer 2.0h

I, myself, use DreamWeaver for PHP :)
Although i catch myself using notepad more often, which then screws DreamWeaver (file is updated outside of project blabla)

BTW, I'm learning to program object oriented at school using C# and the dday source code makes me go :compress: :scratch:

MetalGod

Post by MetalGod » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:26 pm

I`m going to be learning C++

Be aware that what might make good C++ might be totally invalid C. They are not the same language. Most of the popular C++ compilers will handle C though so you're ok in that department. C++ is bult off of C, but while the syntax is similar some things don't work the same.

Also Inferno C# is microsoft's answer to java and you'll find far more similarities to that than the C you see in the dday code.

InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:17 pm

It's either C# or VB.