Guide to Matches

Boons
Developer
Developer

Guide to Matches

Post by Boons » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:54 pm

I wanted to write a guide about matches just so everyone is on the same page on how it "should" be done. I might sway abit from how the old matches went down, just to keep in mind that we do not have the player base we use to.

What is a match?

A match is where two squads will play versus eachother to see which squad can outplay the other. Usually this would be a 4v4. But for I would suggest 3v3 become the normal for now.

The first thing you want to do once you have established a match will take place is choice of maps. One squad will choose map A and the other squad will choose map B , the there will be a consensus on what map C, the tiebreaking map should be. (I am hoping in the future we can have an approved competitve map list in which on a "squad only" server we can enable a random map type of deal) This can be done on the forums prior to a match to cause less confusion. - If everything is set up you play faster, and thats really the whole point.

Once a map list is decided on you need to select a server. Obviously a server that someone has admin rights to so you can set up a password to avoid random players entering in the middle of your match.

To set a password on a server, all you have to do is type in rcon set password "XXXXX" in the console, replace the x's with whatever you want. When I set up a password I just use "match". Now for a player to join they also have to set this password locally (on their computer) to join the server. It is done in the same manner, through the console but they just need to type set password "XXXXX". Pressing ` in game will drop down the console where you can type these commands in.

It is important to note that once the match is over players should reset their password locally to "mypass". This should also be done on the server before you leave unless you want it permantly passworded.

Once you are in game typically there is a small waiting period before you start. Certain maps may allow for different scenarios. An example is on dday5 you would let the allies set up before axis attacks. Otherwise the players wait at spawn until both teams are ready and someone does a count down.

Once a game finishes you will play the map again and switch sides. Once that is done you will do the same thing on the next map. In the event of a 2-2 tie, there is the third map that was designated the tie breaker. Typically the team that won the last game played will get to choose the side for the tie breaker.

And thats it! Once the games are finished, I think the losing team should post results on these forums :) - (aslong as someone does it, it doesnt really matter) With an easy format of Who, and What. Who/what squads played, What maps were played and What was the outcome. I like to include specific details, kill counts and such. But a simple 3-2 or whatever is fine.

It is always nice to incude demos of the games aswell. To record a demo all you do is type in your console record XXXXXX , replace the XXXXXX with whatever you want. Once the game is over, type stop demo. The demos can be found in the demo folder inside your dday folder.

So I think I pretty much covered everything :) If you have any questions please feel free to ask. If I have made any mistakes let me know! I will fix em.