Single player idea

Moderator: Rab,d

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Single player idea

Post by Rab,d » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:46 pm

I think we can pull off a single player experience with the bots and thoughtful mapping. The prison map I am working on can turn into an entire escape campaign spanning many maps.
Can be played offline or online. Player gets through an objective based map with bots set as 1 from .bat launcher. He completes one map and nextmap sends him to the next level.

I think including a single player part of the game would be a huge boost to it's allure.

Gonna experiment and see what I can come up with.

Boons
Developer
Developer

Re: Single player idea

Post by Boons » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:47 am

MP is what draws me to this game. Although I loaded up dday tonight and the bots are not half bad :)

DDayDude1

Post by DDayDude1 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:08 am

bots are great for us oldschoolers but when i try to get new players on they quit because bot aim is just to good and hard for them. maybe tweaking that would help. seems like the bots are easier on land of dday server than on dirks.

DDayDude1

Post by DDayDude1 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:41 pm

yeah sp dday would be great. i think i have grims beta dday sp somewhere. :shock:

Fafner
Developer
Developer

Post by Fafner » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:29 am

We worked on a SP version of dday a loong time ago but didn't finish it. I had a basic version of the quake 2 single player code working, with germans replacing the quake 2 soldier monsters. There were some neat features like I animated the grm soldier so it would take a nade from his hip and pull it back and throw it. I also had a pretty cool St Mere Eglise map that I never released (it would've sucked for mp) and Van Wilder had a nice Brécourt map. The problem was you'd spend 2 weeks making a map and it would be like 10 minutes of gameplay so it seemed like a waste of time. I think this was before override files were around or I would've taken the time to add single player entities to the dday1-5 maps and released it. I don't have any of that stuff now though in case anyone was going to ask me to post it.
1RB: http://www.1rb.mav.net
Speedway: http://www.ddaydev.com/speedway
If you need help, start a thread. That way other people can learn from the information given. DON'T PM ME unless it's necessary.

GypsyLlama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GypsyLlama » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:07 pm

Fafner wrote:I don't have any of that stuff now though in case anyone was going to ask me to post it.
What a tease! Heart = broken.

Boons
Developer
Developer

Post by Boons » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:10 pm

Do we have anyone that can put up a dedicated dday 2 server for testing? (perhaps with ftp access :D )