Illogical 'floatplane: bad normal' error (help me!!)

Topics related to map making for D-Day.
the violator
Developer
Developer

Illogical 'floatplane: bad normal' error (help me!!)

Post by the violator »

I've been working on a map for a while and everything has been going fine, but last night I got a floatplane: bad normal error on one of my frequent compiles. I figured, no biggy, I'll just backtrack and find the invalid brush that worldcraft probably fubar'd somehow. I get this error fairly often and never have trouble tracking down the brush.

However, I CAN'T FIND THE DAMN BRUSH.

I've deleted all the new stuff I had added since my last successful compile and it still throws the error. I've even created a copy of the map and deleted entire groups of brushes one after another to try and narrow it down to the problematic brush, compiling after each delete. When I do this is seems to lead me to a random brush each time that shouldn't even have any issues (ie, just a cube shaped brush).

This leads me to believe that my map file is somehow corrupted. I've tried creating a new map file and copy/pasting all of my brushes into it, but it still gives me the error upon compiling. I've put a ton of work into this map and am really irritated about this. I even got desperate and opened up the .map file in notepad to find any syntax errors or what have you, but it is too long to inspect closely.

Can anyone help me? I have no idea how to fix this.
Join the D-Day Discord!:
https://discord.gg/UVcQ9F

Fafner
Developer
Developer

Re: Illogical 'floatplane: bad normal' error (help me!!)

Post by Fafner »

Save it as a .map file, then open it in in notepad and look at it, you might see some weirdness going on. Each polygon is a separate line and the "normal" is the last 3 integers near the end. If you don't see it you can try deleting parts out from the .map file that way instead of in the editor until you find it.

Fafner
Developer
Developer

Post by Fafner »

Re-reading your post I see you sort of already did that.

I guess you didn't follow my "mapping tips" suggestion of saving sequentially =)

Feel free to send it to me and I will look at it if you can't figure it out. You can PM a link or attach it in the developer section.

the violator
Developer
Developer

Post by the violator »

Fafner, your new avatar is creepy. I don't really know what I'm looking for in the .map file, so I'll send it to you. Thanks.
Join the D-Day Discord!:
https://discord.gg/UVcQ9F

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun »

I have never seen that error but this is what I do when I go on a brush hunt.

Grab half the textures and delete them the fast compile. If the error goes away the problem is in the ones deleted. If the error shows up then probably the ones left have the problem.

Undo delete.

Then I just work my way through the brushes, taking out 10-20 at a time, fast compile, undo delete, until you have it narrowed down to the one you need.

The reason you always undelete is so you don't accidentally save and lose half the textures.

Once you find the screwed up brush I just delete it and then save the map under a new name. Then go back and put it back in right. Don't bother trying to fix the old one, even if you do it may come back to haunt you. Quark is not fool proof (it is after all a free software) and it may store the mistake even if you think you changed it. Just cut it out, rename, and put back in. Much quicker.

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Post by Afrow UK »

That error was a pain in the ass (literally).

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

Hey Afrow.

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun »

Rab,d wrote:Hey Afrow.

Oh yeah, Hi there.

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Post by Afrow UK »

Sorry is that one of my maps? It's been a while!

Stu

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

It's on the back side of the town in gbrdday2. This shows part of my retexture of it though.

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Post by Afrow UK »

Ah nice work!