SHAEF mapping - extra entities and shizzle

Topics related to map making for D-Day.
Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

SHAEF mapping - extra entities and shizzle

Post by Afrow UK »

This is a list of changes that the SHAEF game DLL introduces to D-Day which we can use in our maps. Bit late, but I just bothered to read the change log.

* misc_md2 (new point-entity)
Allows you to insert a model or sprite into the map. The "model" attribute specifies the model or sprite path relative to the dday folder. The "frames" attribute specifies the number of frames to use in the model or sprite. If you only have one frame, this should be set to 1.

* misc_viper point-entity
This is a func_train except it uses a MD2 model instead of a solid brush.
In D-Day it is a P51 Mustang rather than a Viper spaceship.
Giving it a "targetname" allows you to turn it on and off. This seems to be a bit buggy... if you trigger the misc_viper to start with a func_timer, the thing moves, but is invisible until you target it with a trigger_* entity.
Add a "model" attribute to specify a model path to use. Otherwise, the P51 Mustang model is used by default.
Sounds do not work and never have. You must use one or more target_speaker point-entities.

* objective_touch solid-entity
You can now trigger other entities by adding a "target" attribute. Works just like a trigger_* entitiy.

* func_trains solid-entity
If you give it a "health" attribute, it becomes destoryable. Haven't tested this though.

* light point-entity
You can turn them on and off now (wasn't allowed in deathmatch mode before). Use "targetname" attribute.

* misc_teleporter_dest point-entity
Using many of these with the same "targetname" attribute adds random teleportation between them.

* map_location (new point-entity)
Allows you to give an area of a map a name. Insert the entity roughly in the centre of the area and give it a "message" attribute. The value of this attribute will set the area name. Area names can be used by the players in their say/say_team with %L. If there are no map_location entities near by, then the nearest objective_touch or func_explosive_objective entity description/name is used. If there are no map_location entities or objective entities near by, then %L just prints "somewhere".

* trigger_multiple and trigger_once solid-entities
You can give it an "obj_owner" attribute with a value of 2 (Allies) or 3 (Axis). The team specified will not be able to trigger the associated event.

* spawn_protect (new solid-entity)
If you walk into it and you're the opposite team to the "obj_owner" attribute value (which is 0 for Allies or 1 for Axis), then you'll be killed after 5 seconds. Also, grenades become duds when thrown in the area and the players cannot shoot. Make sure this is a brush with the TRIGGER or CLIP texture applied that covers the spawn area.

* info_team_start point-entity
Add a "skin" attribute and set its value to e.g. "airborne" for skins players/usa/airborne_*.pcx, where * is each player class name.

* Turrets
The turret_base and turret_breach must have the same "team" specific.
The turret_driver's "target" must match the turret_breach's "targetname".
The turret_breach's "target" must match the "target" of yet another entity, info_notnull.
The turret must be laid out to face 0 degrees (or what "angle" is set to in worldspawn). This also applies to the turret_driver. To have the turret facing another direction, set the "angle" attribute of the turret_breach and turret_base to whatever. The info_notnull entity must be placed where the projectiles are to be thrown AFTER the turret has moved to the angle that you've set. Yeh that still doesn't quite sound right but trust me it works that way lol
For example, if the turret is set to move to 90 degrees (north) then the info_notnull must be placed at 180 degrees to the turret (west).

These attributes can be added to the turret_breach entity:
"ammo_type" can be "fire", "grenade", "shell" or "bullet".
"fire_sound" sets the path to a .wav sound file to be played when the turret is fired.
"turret_sound" sets the path to a .wav file to be played when the turret is moved.
"ammo_speed" is the speed that the projectile can travel.
"health" is the amount of health the turret has until it can be destroyed.
"deathtarget" triggers another entity when the turret is destroyed.
"rate" is the rate at which the projectiles can be fired (i.e. number of shells per second or something).
"md2" will specify to a model file to use. It must be the full model path inside the dday folder. When using a model, you can use the turret_breach as a non brush-based entity, which will allow you to take 1 off your map model count.

* flag point-entity (for CTC)
Give it an "obj_owner" to set which team the flag initially owned (taken) by. Without it, the flag will be neutral to begin with (no teams have it taken). Add a "style" attribute and set its value to -1 if you don't want the flag to appear (i.e. it is invisible).

* timed_objective_touch (new solid-entity for CTC)
Give it an "obj_owner" attribute where its value is 0 for Allies or 1 for Axis.
"message" will set the objective's name.
"health" will set how many points are to be awarded. This has only been tested for if the points awarded are equal to the total needed for the map.
"count" will set the amount of time (in seconds) that the team must be in the objective to capture it.
You can only have one timed_objective_touch entity per map.

You can download Fafner's turret example map from:
http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/plan ... turret.zip
Includes textures, sounds, .BSP and .MAP files.

This is a list of weapon and ammo pickups you can put on your maps. It's a bit old and outdated though but most of the item names still work:
http://ddc.planetquake.gamespy.com/olds ... eapons.txt
Last edited by Afrow UK on Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:24 am, edited 12 times in total.

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun »

Thaks Afrow. I have had to read a bunch of different files and think through things I wasn't sure about on some of these, so this is very helpful.

* func_trains solid-entity
If you give it a "health" attribute, it becomes destoryable. Haven't tested this though.

Let me know how this tests out and how to use it. I see planes flying over and shooting them and they explode. Maybe Tantato's planes. I think Tanato had a truck that moved and blew up in one map, though my memory isn't clear on that.

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Post by Afrow UK »

Just tried out the obj_owner jobby for trigger_*. Doesn't seem to work.
No matter what obj_owner value I set (tried 0-3), the entity can still be triggered by a player on either team. Got the SHAEF v1.0 / CTC DLL installed as well. Any ideas?

Parts
Developer
Developer

Post by Parts »

object owner thing worked for me when I used it. newpsp.bsp if i remember rightly, if you want to see if that works for you.

Doors joining axis spawn area to mini-maps were the main triggers...allies couldn't open them.

edit...

Just loaded it up...object_owner 2 makes my triggers axis only.

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Post by Afrow UK »

Cheers. I'm sure I tried 2, but I'll try it again.

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Post by Afrow UK »

I see why it didn't work now. I probably didn't try 3 after all, because "obj_owner" for all other entities means that team owns it and the opposing team must destroy it / catch it or whatever. Here it's the other way around. The team that owns it can't trigger it.

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Post by Afrow UK »

Added info for map_location. CTC will have to come next.

Edit: Done

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun »

Is it func_trains solid-entity , or func_trains_solid_entity ? Wanted to test this to see about blowing things up. The other problems is can I replace it with a blown up version? For instance you can blow up a func train but replacing it with a blown up version, at that spot, I haven't figured it out yet. You can use the flag on pathtarget to make something appear but then it isn't based on the func train exploding.

darkstar

Re: SHAEF mapping - extra entities and shizzle

Post by darkstar »

for the map_location, cant u just group or link to a noclip texture
Sgt.Darkstar, 101st Airborne, Received the Medal of Honor and the Purple Heart

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
-George S. Patton

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Re: SHAEF mapping - extra entities and shizzle

Post by Afrow UK »

I just found a copy of weapons.txt which lists all the pickup names.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/imker/afrowu ... eapons.txt

Stu