Map ideas

Topics related to map making for D-Day.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Boogerhead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Map ideas

Post by Boogerhead » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:22 am

I got thinking that the five or so Japanese maps always either seem to be neutral, or the Japanese are on the defensive. Why?

I just read Harry Turtledove's "Days of Infamy," an interesting alternative history book premised on the idea that the Japanese invade Pearl Harbor, which gives them reach to the West Coast and blocks the Americans from moving toward Japan. Great book; got it Thursday from the library and finished reading it Saturday morning.

Part of the problem with using the Japanese team realistically is that much of the fighting was in jungle areas or those with heavy overgrowth, and often tough terrain features, none of which is handled with great aplomb by the Quake 2 engine. But, still, a couple ideas, all premised around the events around late 1941/early 1942 or Turtledove's hypothetical:

Japan v. Britain in Singapore. Fortified area, with the fort facing the wrong way:
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/fa ... gapore.htm

Japan v. U.S. in Phillipines -- a little mountain, a little jungle, good sniping locations. Like, well, Gomp's "Made" map, perhaps.

U.S. v. Japan in Phillipines -- Remaining U.S. soldiers come out of the jungle to harass Japanese -- perhaps blowing up trucks?

Japan v. U.S. in Oahu -- Japanese go for objectives as U.S. soldiers fall back through the rubble of residential areas.

Dunno. Just wanted to share. I am very much interested in trying to do some of this, but I'm also absolutely -terrible- at following through on stuff in my spare time. Maybe over Christmas, but ...

RogoS[Ums]
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by RogoS[Ums] » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:49 pm

Maps need a mounted HMG like those on doggreen a MG42.
---------------
DDW
---------------

Shrewd

Post by Shrewd » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:59 am

Making a map is not always so easy...
I returned to dday (I was out for a long time) and I see a lot of things have changed... I've always wanted to make a good map and I were
just able to make 1... and not a played one :P German Town- german.bsp
I wasn't even able to put the objectives pic into q2 colours. :(

I'm very bad at lighting, and I don't know how to make that spawn changes like invade1 on allies side... (I hope you get what I mean).
But If you tell me an easy idea, I'd be pleased to make a map :D

I just got Quark, and I wanna try some things like the terrain generator that it's something new to me :P. After that, I think I'll be ready for anything.

Oh, also, I don't know how to make textures, so I'd have to use the existing ones.. :P So, imagine anything easy.. :P but more concrete that the things mentioned up here

mofo

Post by mofo » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:56 pm

looks like you want a jap map.....what bout an iwo jima type map.....y'know explosions and a shelled out beach with lots of holes and palms?
"Babies are little maracas sent from above."

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:08 pm

I was messing around with this just for fun a few months ago. Wanted to know what is the largest I could get without going into borders. It's very small but it would be about the real size with grim's new project. (not like I'm going to ever finish it or something)

http://www.hot.ee/wolf8/ij0.jpg
http://www.hot.ee/wolf8/ij2.jpg
http://www.hot.ee/wolf8/ij3.jpg

Shrewd

Post by Shrewd » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:40 pm

I wanna know how grim does those things.. :P

There's so much I don't know about mapping... :banghead:

But well, I think that a big beach, with various boats, and bunkers for being deeper with objectives too would be great.

Julhelm

Post by Julhelm » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:44 pm

Just make some really good urban-style maps. If you have to, make an urban map but texture it like a forest/jungle whatever. Layout is what's important, not looks.

GypsyLlama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GypsyLlama » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:15 pm

Julhelm wrote:Just make some really good urban-style maps. If you have to, make an urban map but texture it like a forest/jungle whatever. Layout is what's important, not looks.
Mappers should make atleast an attempt at adding superficial detail though. IMO thats the funnest part of mapping.

Julhelm

Post by Julhelm » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:17 pm

Obviously, but the main reason why 90% of dday maps suck is because people just make a slab of flat ground and dump some random houses and trees into it without any greater thought. The fact that a lot of them look like ass doesn't really help things: If the map has crappy gameplay, detail can't save it.

SuperSniperChicken
Developer
Developer

Post by SuperSniperChicken » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:51 pm

"Ya cant polish a turd, but you can put tiny brushes that look like blades of grass in various places on it to make it look more detailed."

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:14 am

Detailing is just the mapper impressing themselves, that why I do it.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:31 am

well, I think detail coupled with a smart layout is the only way to attract more people to the game. When you have other choices that make dday look like MarioBrothers...where is the lure. The gameplay is great, sure. For us guys that have played for years. a N00b to dday will think it looks like shit. I think the use of the terrain generator and better textures will greatly enhance new maps. The terrain generator is a very effecient way to add realistic detail to a map. Everyone making a map should learn to use it...even with urban maps.

SuperSniperChicken
Developer
Developer

Post by SuperSniperChicken » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:58 pm

...that make dday look like MarioBrothers...where is the lure.

im offended

SHINY

Post by SHINY » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:33 pm

wtf zomg there was a mario castle once from the mario game on the nintendo 64 it lookedl ike it and it had secrests made by a new mapper so almost none got it

SuperSniperChicken
Developer
Developer

Post by SuperSniperChicken » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:07 pm

there is a 3d frontend for mame (i forgot the name) and someone made a nice princess toadstool castle from mario 64 for it

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:03 pm

rofl...;]

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:56 am

I think we should play the cow map more often.

tanatovago
Developer
Developer

Post by tanatovago » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:55 pm

This is a singla island(to war in Pacific Ocean) , may br a good map to ideia in topic. Ma no finished, problem in fix texture in the irregular terrain ! :cry:

:wink:
I have heavy ping..and you dead!

mofo

Post by mofo » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:39 pm

what bout raid? that was a pretty damn good map. its urban but is far different than your average urban map, i mean the thing has air raids! forces folk to not camp in the streets.
"Babies are little maracas sent from above."

Wolf

Post by Wolf » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:41 pm

Expect negative replies about the amount of trees :D

L.T. Mark
Developer
Developer

Post by L.T. Mark » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:36 pm

Thats a great looking map tanatovago

Pain is temporary but Immortally is for ever

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:26 am

The reason I don't like puting a lot of detail all over the place and trans trees is it dogs up the engine. Yeha it is fine to llok at but it doesn't do a lot for game play on what is, no matter what people say, is a bunch of polygonal with textures on them. Adding a bunch of really nice railings and rock sin the ground and grass clumps doesn't do much for game play. That is whyI have worked to learn how to make large maps that don't exceed 1000 r-speed. Learned all that detail stuff earlier and so what.

DDAY2 is just a bunch of blocks with textures on it. A few swinging doors. And it gets played to death because it is simple and you get back to killing real fast. And it is midday in the middle of the night.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:05 pm

Looks good, Tanato. But, Mynf does have a point. But i believe there is a happy medium. I bet the r_speeds are not very high. But all those models will do the trick of boggin' a slower computer down.

GypsyLlama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GypsyLlama » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:11 pm

A map needs gameplay, thats a given. If the map consists of nothing but 2 opposing spawn points where people just shoot back and forth from their respective "bases" no one will play it, this is just common sense. I repeat "a map needs gameplay", it shouldn't be an issue. However you're right mynf maps don't really need detail to be playable. However I think that when a mapper reaches a certain degree of comfort in his ability to make a fun map he needs to take his skills to the next step. Yes this is quake2 and too much detail bogs down the engine, but understand that people have far better computers than when quake2 was originally released. I don't know of many people who run opengl that have problems with r_speeds upwards of 1500-2000. There is also a certain degree of detail you can put into a map without having quake2 bog down at all. Personally I feel there are very few maps where the trans_tree even looks appropriate. It's a shitty way of making a tree, take the time to make one out of brushes. You could make a kickass tree out of 4 brushes or less, and it would take you maybe a minute.