Here we go again (resist.bsp!)

Topics related to map making for D-Day.
Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

I use 3.00t..it rox.
Hey try this...fuck radiosity!
imo, radiosity makes environmental maps look like shit. When browns(reds) are next to greens, especially.
Check out the lighting in my map Crossing2...no radiosity! I think it looks great. :D
In that map with 90% polys haaving phong shading and _sun_light...rad took only 1 hour with -bounce 0. ;]
i tried full radiosity for kicks....was into the 8th hour...i gave up.
cya.

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Post by Afrow UK »

What do you mean by no radiosity? What setting is that?

I've tried using -chopsky 128 to cut the compile time down. It halfs the compile time, but when doing the -extra bit the fucking thing crashes every time.

I found an issue with rotating entities though (like func_door_rotating, func_rotating, turret_breach etc). There's a bug fix in there to make these entities get bounced light... except all these entities in my map come out black. You got any rotating entities in your map?
I'm doing a recompile now with _minlight 25 and _ambient 25 on those entities to see if it fixes it.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

i have problems with rotating entities, in general, using Quark. It messes the texture up and makes it black.

The rad thing...just put -bounce 0 in your rad command line. It sets the radiosity bounces to 0. If you like a little radiosity, you can up the value from 0, a little. I don't know what the default value is for radiosity bounces....
I wouldn't do the -chopsky to merely cut compile time...it will make any _sun_light you got going, not look as good.

Grim originally turned me on to -bounce 0 to give the ability to do rad compiles...at that time i was on a pii 64mb ram...i couldn't even do a fullrad with that. I was forced to do -bounce 0. Radiosity needs alot of ram. I founf that my maps looked better...so i have stuck with it on all my maps, now. Considering my lighting tweaking usually consists of many, many trial compiles...it has saved me alot of time with fast compiles, too.

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Post by Afrow UK »

Yeh I know it reduces quality greatly. Been using it temporarily to fix the crashing issue. The crashing isn't being caused by -chopsky at all I've just found out. The last thing I did was add some flickering lights to the map. I'll see if that is the issue tomorrow. -bounce just stops light bouncing off surfaces. Default value is 8.

The textures issue is a bug with qbsp3. Geoffrey DeWan's qbsp3 fixes this with a -origfix switch, except you can't use that compiler with QuArK.

I'll do more tests tomorrow and see what -bounce 0 looks like.

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Post by Afrow UK »

Bounce definately makes indoor areas look better, but outside it doesn't make much difference. Sorted the bug with the rotating entities by using _minlight with _ambient to make it look similar to what it did with ArghRad 2.01.

VIS time is still below 800 seconds, but RAD time is around 4000. I'll see if it crashes again this time round.

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Post by Afrow UK »

This is really really stupid. I removed one of the holes in the ground which goes into the bunker underneith and put it elsewhere (in a more concealed location). VIS went down to 6 MINUTES!!! Now trying compile with the terrain set back to solid rather than detail.

Fair doos, Quake 2 sucks balls when it comes to large maps.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

Hey, Stu. Where is this at? Can i help? I have an extra computer, that i could leave on for a couple weeks. :) Seriously...lol.
rabid@earthlink.net
pm me first, if you are gonna send it, so i can look for you in my spam folder.

GypsyLlama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GypsyLlama »

Afrow UK wrote:This is really really stupid. I removed one of the holes in the ground which goes into the bunker underneith and put it elsewhere (in a more concealed location). VIS went down to 6 MINUTES!!! Now trying compile with the terrain set back to solid rather than detail.

Fair doos, Quake 2 sucks balls when it comes to large maps.
preach on brutha

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun »

Well large maps and not many people is kind of lonely. Thus DDAY on q2.

kvaki

Post by kvaki »

ive always wanted to play this map. hurry up and conpile it and make a link already

[TheTyrant]

Post by [TheTyrant] »

If you need extra computers to compile it I've got a few in my office - most of them are amd 3800+'s with a gig of ram running Win2k3. You would just have to get RealVNC after I remove the system from my office network.
(Or if you want I cen set you up with a SuSE 10.2 shell if theres linux utils that compile maps).

PM/email (t.tyrant@gmail.com) if you're interested Afro.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

[TheTyrant] wrote:If you need extra computers to compile it I've got a few in my office - most of them are amd 3800+'s with a gig of ram running Win2k3. You would just have to get RealVNC after I remove the system from my office network.
(Or if you want I cen set you up with a SuSE 10.2 shell if theres linux utils that compile maps).

PM/email (t.tyrant@gmail.com) if you're interested Afro.
Ya, go with Tyrant. My comp is slower than that.

Just get 'er done!

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Post by Afrow UK »

Haha I'm sorry guys I still need to record the game play demo.
Reason I haven't done it yet is I need to put D-Day on my new machine (the GPU on my old one is fooked).

Gomp
Developer
Developer

Post by Gomp »

Afrow UK wrote:It's crazy though what one small object can do to VIS. In the tutorial it showed how the small floating solid wasn't even touching the outer brushes yet it was creating about 4 or 5 more subdivisions quadrupling the VIS data size.

-Stu
As before...

Make it as easy as taking a crap, and I'll do it...

I got: OS: WinXP Home Edition 5.1 Service Pack 2 (Build #2600) CPU: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 2.41 GHz Video: "Standardskjerm" on nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX (1024x768x32bpp 60Hz) Sound: SB Audigy 4 Audio [7000] Memory: Used: 406/2048MB (I got 4 gigs of RAM, but Win-XP only accept 2 of them..) Uptime: 1w 23h 30m 31s HD: [C:System] 4.96/298.08 GB [D:BACKUP] 6.81/37.25 GB [E:Film] 3.22/298.08 GB [G:Games] 3.80/104.89 GB [H:Musikk] 9.45/128.00 GB Connection: NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller - Miniport for pakkeplanlegger @ 100.0 Mbps (Rec: 1790.38MB Sent: 247.80MB)

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Post by Afrow UK »

I've got an almost identical computer. It only takes an hour to compile now, but I just need to record the demo.

Guyver

Post by Guyver »

Yo Bazzer
ImageImage

Lord fido

Post by Lord fido »

Nice map. I recomend using night atmosphere for the surface.

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Post by Afrow UK »

lol I started doing some more modifications to this map. Last time I touched it was in November last year :D

I might make/get some more new textures.

Stu

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Re: Here we go again (resist.bsp!)

Post by Afrow UK »

Been working on it again lol

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

This map is unbelievable. Truely, dday's finest map to date.
We all better get playing this!..often...it's gonna take awhile to learn this complex yet fluid map. :)

It's hosted on Himmy'sFubar server and thedoghouse. (i stole it from himmy's this morning ;) )

pendragon

Post by pendragon »

Rab,d wrote:This map is unbelievable. Truely, dday's finest map to date.
We all better get playing this!..often...it's gonna take awhile to learn this complex yet fluid map. :)

It's hosted on Himmy'sFubar server and thedoghouse. (i stole it from himmy's this morning ;) )
It's released? I've had an old preview of it on my system for ages, but never had much of a chance to play it, I agree it's one of the nicest maps i've even had the pleasure of playing on, looks good, feels good, complex yet fluid describes it perfectly, and I always thought it was the jewel in the crown from one of the communities finest mappers.

I assume it won't be on coolnet, since I doubt it'll work there, so I'll be looking for it on the US servers meantime ;)
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

New Sound Pak : pak4.rar

Gummy

Post by Gummy »

Great job Afrow....lots of twists and turns but very detailed.......hats off to you
gummy :D
Yes its the old man, I was quakin with FBI long before the name DDAY was around..Just remember its a game and thats all its fun, ya meet lots good peeps.and no Im not to good at it ,,but I keep it fun Gummy

Fafner
Developer
Developer

Post by Fafner »

I really don't believe that is the final version of the map. Himmy probably has that from when he was a beta tester on the GBR team like 4 years ago. It shouldn't be on any server. I will say that Afrow probably is finished the map though. He PMed me a few months ago asking for the password to upload to fileplanet but then he never uploaded it apparently. Hopefully this will encourage him to post it, but I really doubt that version is final and it shouldn't be played or hosted anywhere.

[505]Maximus

Post by [505]Maximus »

Why shouldn't it be played or hosted anywhere? It feels final to me.
When in doubt use a knife!- Spacemonky
Don't Change, stay the same.
This is me http://www.myspace.com/xxxxdicktatorxxxx

pendragon

Post by pendragon »

Fafner wrote:I really don't believe that is the final version of the map. Himmy probably has that from when he was a beta tester on the GBR team like 4 years ago. It shouldn't be on any server. I will say that Afrow probably is finished the map though. He PMed me a few months ago asking for the password to upload to fileplanet but then he never uploaded it apparently. Hopefully this will encourage him to post it, but I really doubt that version is final and it shouldn't be played or hosted anywhere.
That was the main reason I never mentioned the map, or let anyone have it, since it's never a good idea to release a beta or test version of a map, if it is incomplete, or unfinished it gives players an unfinished and incomplete experience, and devalues the map and it's creator.

I'd have expected an official announcement from Afrow himself if he was releasing this map, and was frankly surprised that it was released , to find that it may be the test version that [OSS] players were specifically asked NOT to release to anyone else pretty much pissed me off actually, I know it's a great map, i've tested it with [OSS] and played it solo, and understand that it should be a part of the official D-Day map set, but when it's ready, when Afrow releases it.

I think it would be better for the community if it was not available in anything other than it's finished form, I would hate to see anything I myself had worked on getting released before I was satisfied that it was ready to be used.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

New Sound Pak : pak4.rar