Here we go again (resist.bsp!)

Topics related to map making for D-Day.
Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Here we go again (resist.bsp!)

Post by Afrow UK »

I'm compiling the map yet again; this time on a Athlon 64 4000+ @ FX-55 (2.6Ghz) with 2gB DDR Ram (on Dual Channel). No Virtual Memory paging files.

Been on since about 11 o'clock this morning (now 15:47). It's on #7 of 10 of full VIS. Put a hell o lot o entities in and the detail texture flag everywhere which should take some time off the compile.

Fingers crossed.
I'm guessing it will still take all night, but hopefully not the 48 hour time of my older computer.

-Stu

tanatovago
Developer
Developer

Post by tanatovago »

hi Afrow !

Eu tenho seua antiga versão do mapa resist, fiz o downlaod ná homepage dos desenvolvedores da dll britânica !

Eu achava que estava ok, é um belo mapa ! É um mapa de grande desafio para capturar os objetivos...but a beautiful map! :D
I have heavy ping..and you dead!

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Post by Afrow UK »

Still compiling after 27 hours.

-Stu

SHINY

Post by SHINY »

sounds like a long ass compile

L.T. Mark
Developer
Developer

Post by L.T. Mark »

Still compiling after 27 hours
Wow it only takes me like 2 to 5 hours

Pain is temporary but Immortally is for ever

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Good and bad news

Post by Afrow UK »

Okies, compiled successfully, but the map had some major issues. This has happened before, but sometimes when I set the sky lights up and then compile, the sky, nodraw and light flags get turned off and I end up getting no sky but a solid wall around the whole map. This is why the compile took longer than it should have (but it will still take over 20 hours).

As the map now compiles successfully (hasn't done so for years) I'm definately going to have another go at compiling in a few months or so.

-Stu

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

uh...a few months? wtf. Are you joining the PeaceCorps tommorow, or something? Set your flags and hit GO!.
:? How anticlimactic.

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Post by Afrow UK »

My PC is £1600 and I can tell you it doesn't sound good after being on for 2 days and two nights. The fans sounds fucked!
My brother was very angry that I compiled this time because he doesn't want it to break down, hence wait a few months until my brother won't mind if I leave it on for another two days.

Unless someone else wants to compile it.

-Stu

Quakeroats

Post by Quakeroats »

i always wanted to play that map but i could never find it(resist.bsp).

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Post by Afrow UK »

I never released it unfortunately as it crashed software users and even some open gl / direct 3d users too. I've fixed the crashing with open gl and direct 3d (was gl_ext_multitexture 1 and a sky texture on an entity causing it).
However because it takes days to compile and at one point it stopped running in Quake2 and then it stopped compiling completely I left the map for dead.

It was the primary GBR dll test map - we had lots of fun. I'm going to bring it back from the dead for the sake of myself and the OSS.

I and you all have to be patient though.
You'll have it by the end of January I recon (I'll use my birthday as an excuse to compile :) )

-Stu

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Post by Afrow UK »

5 months later and I started working on it again. Done a huge amount of work on the map these last few days (off college). I should be revising, but I'm resitting the exams next year anyway so it doesn't really matter.

I managed to cut down on VIS portals as well by using the detail flag and more entities (found out how to apply texture flags to all faces of a brush this morning!) Hopefully I won't be seeing the Vismap Expansion Overflow error again. Also keeping entities to a 128 maximum.

Going to compile the map on fast now but with extra lighting to see what it looks like.

-Stu

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun »

Well, you could but a few doors up in the sky and name it Felipe the Chilien.

And I am sure it sux :P

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Post by Afrow UK »

I'm confused. Please elaborate for me...

-Stu

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

I thought you were there for Felipe. He made a map that he released, I think it was supposed to be a rail station, but he had a window and a door floating up in the air, along with a few other things. He was very proud of the map and didn't get there was a problem.

Meant it as a joke Stu, no offense.

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

Gl on the compile, dude.
You would be amazed how much time you will cut off the vis by throwing some detail flags around, like you said. On poldday5 when i first did a full vis..it went into 5 days...i stopped it and we released the map with a -fast vis. ;[
Anyway...that sucked so i went in and selectively made alot have a detail flag. Even down to rooftop polys that were above the vis cutoff line(if you are on the ground) and sidewalk polys. Of course obvious detail stuff like lightpoles, trim details.
I basically made everything detail that wasn't a large conecting poly that made up a entire vis blocking group.
...did the full vis, again...completed in 4 hours. Cut r_speeds by over 600, too. :D
So i would suggest detail flagging the Hell out of it if the vis runs long, again.
Cuz if you are hitting that vismap expansion overflow error...your map is either very detailed or extremely large.

FuNiOnZ

Post by FuNiOnZ »

I remember when you used my caulk texture on an entity and tried to say I sabotaged your map :P

It works perfect, just don't use it on any entities or it causes baaaaad things to happen. I used it on rtdunkirk and it cut rspeeds in half

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

..... or extremely large.

This is the case.

FuNiOnZ

Post by FuNiOnZ »

Mr. YOur no fun wrote:..... or extremely large.

This is the case.
Eh? Cutting faces out of the vismap cannot make them large :?

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

I tried to compile it for him once. The map is just really large, and a lot of ways to see around corners.

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Post by Afrow UK »

Well the good news is that I cut fast VIS time from 16 seconds to 5 by using the detail flags where necessary. BSP takes 6 seconds and extra RAD is taking around 2000 seconds. I'll try full VIS sometime this week.

I read the tutorial by Geoffrey DeWan (the guy that made the updated compilers for Quake 2 and 3). Very helpful (you'll have to Google for it if you need it :p ).

Just a question for you guys as I don't play nowadays... Do people still play in software video mode? I tried some sprite trees in the map and they're just awful. I'd like to stick to using brush trees with trans66 set.

-Stu

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

rgr that on the trees. I don't care for sprite trees, personally.
The general consensus amongst the active developers is to leave software behind. Basically...not to consider it or build your map around it.

SuperSniperChicken
Developer
Developer

Post by SuperSniperChicken »

ive gotten away from the vis map expansion error on my last few maps by flagging all the ground detail, kinda lame but works. i guess its ok if you dont have alot of stuff underground

Afrow UK
Developer
Developer

Post by Afrow UK »

It's crazy though what one small object can do to VIS. In the tutorial it showed how the small floating solid wasn't even touching the outer brushes yet it was creating about 4 or 5 more subdivisions quadrupling the VIS data size.

-Stu

SuperSniperChicken
Developer
Developer

Post by SuperSniperChicken »

i just now noticed a clutch looks like a robot sphincter well the pressure plate atleast

Quakeroats

Post by Quakeroats »

why does it take so long to compile a map?

lets play it :!: