My First DDay Experience

Discussion about the game D-Day: Normandy.
[Inf]PopLadd

My First DDay Experience

Post by [Inf]PopLadd » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:39 pm

I'm well aware that I'm a total newbie compared to a lot of other guys on here, but I just read the "I Remember When..." thread and felt I should talk about my time on DDay. Here's my relatively uneventful story from the beginning;

It was a late autumn afternoon back in 2008. My older brother Ian and I just came home from school (I was 8 years old at the time). As I hung up my coat, put my backpack down, and settled down for the evening, I noticed that my dad and my oldest brother, Liam were nowhere to be found. Even Ian had seemingly vanished in that short amount of time. I headed down into my basement to look for them.

My basement was, and still is, a complete dump; the air was filled with dust and discarded cigarettes, the cardboard walls were tearing apart, exposed pipes continued to rust... And yet at the time, it was my favorite place to be. Liam, Ian, and I had loved to spend hours upon hours hanging out down there and playing video games on computers set up in the former bar area. Gaming has been a pretty big part of my life; my very first video game was Quake 2, which I played when I was 2 years old!

Enough with that tangent. Anyways, I headed down into my basement. Sure enough, Liam, Ian, and my dad were on the computers playing a game. I came over to examine what they were doing. As I peeked into the bar area, my eyes were instantly locked onto their screens. They appeared to be playing some sort of WWII game. I remember my dad talking about how he was browsing the internet that morning and came across this neat little game called "DDay; Normandy".

I was instantly filled with excitement. Quake 2 and WWII majorly fascinated me, so discovering a game that combines the two was like a gift from God. My dad said he had a lot of work to do, being a computer technician for Woodforest National Bank, so he let me take his place. They had been in the middle of a match on the map Dday2. I don't remember much about what happened after, other than the load of fun I was having. I was instantly hooked on this game!

Throughout my life, DDay has left very fond memories which continue to stay with me. The day school let out for winter break that year, I played on Invade4, where my dad called me Mary Poppins for hopping across the rooftops and killing everybody. I came upstairs right after and helped put up the Christmas tree with my family. When I got my first girlfriend the following February, I came home from school, called her for a while, and then played DDay. I'm not a fan of Michael Jackson, but I remember the very day he died; I played outside with my siblings as the sun was setting on that warm afternoon, then I came inside and played online on Invade1 for hours.

I know I'm fortunate enough to almost always have someone to play DDay with (my brothers), but it still really brings me down to see how much the userbase is dying. We should really try to create videos and spread them around YouTube or anything to introduce people to this fantastic game. We might get a few obnoxious kids joining, but for the most part it should help keep DDay alive.
Signatures are used to easily distinguish between many different users in a variety of ways. The signature I have chosen is rather redundant, in that it's merely stating the function of signatures. Quite humorously though, this would still be seen as a very distinguishable signature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ3XjVVNagU

Phoenix

Re: My First DDay Experience

Post by Phoenix » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:38 am

Keep popping on Dirk's server. The more often people are on, the more often more people will join I think. Just a couple days ago we had 9 people running around. It felt like old times. I started way WAY back in the early days of DDay with version 2.1 in the year 2000. I played every day and used to actually be pretty good. Though after a few years of hardcore playing, I eventually burned out. Started doing erratic things just to keep it interesting to me (such as leading a squad called 1st Ranger Battalion and leaving them to join their arch-rival squad Schutzstaffel) and eventually stopped playing all together. I came back for a little bit in 2007 and left again until about a year ago when I started playing regularly again.

I don't think many people understand how revolutionary DDay was back in the day. Iron sites, class-based starting weapons, prone position, stamina meter, maps that REQUIRED a team effort to win, etc... The more people who can play, the better.

JoeyBelgier

Post by JoeyBelgier » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:27 pm

4 years ago I made some videos, rather crappy sadly because of my horrid computer back then. Still, a fair portion of the videos you'll find on Youtube were an attempt of me to bring more life back. I also tried to have some squad competition going on by recruiting some people myself, and eventually it very briefly took off a bit. The Facebook page is getting new likes almost daily which amazes me.

I have quite some free time again lately and I have a decent rig now so I might try to shoot some more videos when there's enough people online to make appealing shots.

[Inf]PopLadd

Post by [Inf]PopLadd » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:48 pm

JoeyBelgier wrote:I have quite some free time again lately and I have a decent rig now so I might try to shoot some more videos when there's enough people online to make appealing shots.
Hopefully when I have enough time, maybe I could pop in to help out a bit! I make lots of non-DDay vids on my YouTube channel; http://www.youtube.com/user/rippingcreamyskits
Signatures are used to easily distinguish between many different users in a variety of ways. The signature I have chosen is rather redundant, in that it's merely stating the function of signatures. Quite humorously though, this would still be seen as a very distinguishable signature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ3XjVVNagU

TRUE

Post by TRUE » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:02 pm

No hope...

Mr. YOur no fun
Developer
Developer

Post by Mr. YOur no fun » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:56 pm

Oh True, you are always such a downer and always have been.

Join in.