Hey guys

Discussion about the game D-Day: Normandy.
Luiso

Hey guys

Post by Luiso »

Are you alive yet¿?¿?
"[...]As I take hits from the bong[...]"

Johannes

Re: Hey guys

Post by Johannes »

Yes, we're still alive. Actually, I'm just a new guy, but I play the game. Also got two others to download. Don't think they've played much though.

Forums are rather slow.

I'm mostly waiting for the Italian dll, and going to look into modeling stuff (French weapons probably; MAS 36, etc.) using Q2 modeler (I usually use GMax, but I'm not sure if that works for Q2... I have 0 knowledge about what the Q2 engine uses and does).

Not many options in terms of servers. Chilean ones are usually filled, as is Coolnet. The only other server that I see up at the moment is Himmy's. Gummy's is up occasionally, and thedoghouse went back down a few days ago.

The only one that I know of that runs the British, Japanese, and Polish dlls was thedoghouse which made it my preferred server personally. Hopefully somebody's going to fix whatever the issue is that prevents Coolnet from running those teams.

InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo »

For being 'in' for a week, you know a lot of community shit already?

I'm just curious to know if you'll stay more than 2 weeks or not.

For modelling
Milkshape and Misfit work superbly to model for Id Tech 2

Johannes

Post by Johannes »

I've actually been playing on and off since the end of December, and have been reading the forums since. I just didn't really feel like posting until recently, nor have I had the time to play a lot until recently as well.

So yeah, I'll probably be sticking around for a long time.

So I guess that means GMax doesn't work so well for this engine?

pendragon

Post by pendragon »

Luiso wrote:Are you alive yet¿?¿?
Lui!! dude where you been, yeah i'm still alive, and playing off and on as time and work allows.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

New Sound Pak : pak4.rar

InFerNo
Developer
Developer

Post by InFerNo »

Johannes wrote:So I guess that means GMax doesn't work so well for this engine?
Anything exporting to MD2 works like a charm.
If you insist on improving the game's look, try to model MD3's instead.

Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Just did some research, and it looks like there's no MD2 exporting for GMax, so I'll have to practice around with Q2 modeler for now, and I'll look into Milkshape when I have the spare money eventually.

I'm not really interested in improving the look of D-Day as I think it looks fine the way it is (I'm not really much of a graphics-obsessed person, even if the other WW2 games I play are modern and fancy-looking). I'm actually more interested in just modeling weapons for now, maybe for potential use later. I'm curious as to what type of work goes into making a team dll, because I'd certainly like to try to work on those. I'm particularly interested in doing the fourth and fifth main Allied nations, (Nationalist) China and France respectively. As it is, all I have is 3D modeling experience for BF1942 specifications using GMax (and 2D spriting).

China in particular would be easy to do, since so much of their equipment was just German import and clones. Would be a matter of simply integrating an MP18 for the SMG, a Czech ZB vz. 1926 for the LMG (might want to look into that guys who are doing the Czech team dll I see down there on the forum...), a Mauser C96 pistol, and a Dadao sword as a counterpart to the Japanese Katana. The Chinese also have great potential for maps: Battle of Shanghai was epic. So yeah, working on that would probably be a great tutorial for myself.

The French are a little more complicated and would require a whole different set of equipment. The MAS 36 was the standard rifle for only the best of infantry, but the majority of troops around the empire used the Berthier 1916; I'd probably pick the MAS 36 anyway just because it's awesome. :p The MAS 38 SMG was extremely rare, as were all SMGs in French Army use in 1940, but since the Mors was used for the Polish when only about 30 of those existed, I guess it wouldn't hurt to use the MAS 38 (1,900 of those were issued before the fall of France). The excellent FM 24/29 LMG saw action everywhere, and I'd probably just use that for the heavy gunner too a la Japanese heavy gunner since the Hotchkiss 1914 usually had a 3 man team (constantly reloading 24 round clips as a single gunner without a reloader would be kind of pointless). I'd have to think about what pistol to give the French: the 1892 revolver was the most common French-made handgun, but the Spanish Ruby pistol from WWI were far more common; at the same time, they also had the modern 1935A and S pistols, but those were rather rare. Finally, snipers used the Lebel 1886 M93 with APX 1921 scope. The French didn't use flamethrowers much in the early war, but they had quite a fetish for grenadiers, so probably instead of a flamethrower class they should have a Lebel 1886 M93 rifle along with VB time-fused rifle grenades (while the engineer just has a rifle, again a la Japanese engineer).

In terms of maps, the French went AWOL for two and a half years after the armistice of 1940 as everyone knows. The 1940 campaign did have some fierce action though; Battle of Lille, Monthermé, Fall Rot, Operation Tiger (against the Maginot Line) were pretty brutal. The Alps campaign against the Italians in June 1940 was a comedy. After Operation Torch (itself a good idea for a battle; only time in history French Army forces fought American Army forces on the ground), when the French rejoined the Allies under the Algiers government (due to German violation of the armistice with Case Anton, blah blah blah; this is ignoring the Free French of Charles de Gaulle based at London of course. The two entities, former Vichy and Free French, wouldn't be combined until June 1943), there were some interesting battles in the Tunisian Campaign that could be looked into, like Medjez-el-Bab and Djebel Zaghouan. The French were also a major presence in the Italian Campaign at the Battle of Monte Cassino, where they broke the Gustav Line in 1944 (which allowed the Polish to take the monastery once the Germans began to retreat as a result; the actions are connected), and were half the liberating force of Southern France during Operation Dragoon (French First Army). A battle in the Vosges mountains could be interesting, or maybe a Resistance style map in Brittany with French SAS paratroopers and FFI forces. Although I'd probably want most to see the fighting against the Japanese in French Indochina following the coup of March 9th, 1945. (If the 1940-1942 AWOL period were portrayed, the Free French at Bir Hakeim or Eritrea and the Vichy French fighting the British at Syria/Lebanon or Madagascar would be interesting...)

If anybody's confused as to French governmental crap during the war, it goes:

1939-1940: French Third Republic
1940-1943: Free French Government (claimed to be legal continuation of Third Republic, under Charles de Gaulle; seen as rebel faction by Vichyites and internationally)
1940-1945: French State "Vichy" mainland government (legal until November 1942, when the violation of the armistice meant a resumption of active war between France and Germany; French law dictates that you can't take orders from a leader in the hands of an enemy state; Vichy policies clearly become a mouthpiece for Berlin post-Case Anton under Pierre Laval)
1942-1943: French State "Vichy" government in Algiers (initially under Admiral Darlan, number 3 in the government, chief of French military forces and Petain's designated successor, then under General Henri Giraud; legal government following German occupation of Free Zone in November 1942, rejoined Allies but maintained all Vichy laws and restrictions until 1943)
1943-1945: French Committee of National Liberation (legal government, coalition of re-Allied Vichy French in Algiers with the Free French of de Gaulle in London; initially joint leadership under de Gaulle and Giraud, but Giraud resigned and de Gaulle obtained full power, which is why he was finally recognized as the French leader by the Allies, other than the British who had considered him "leader of all Frenchmen wanting to continue the fight" as early as 1940; this government was renamed as the Provisional Government of France right before D-Day)

People like to call the re-Allied Vichy French post-Operation Torch as "Free French", but this is not true at all. The split between the French Army and the Free French Army was such that in the victory parades in Tunis in 1943, they refused to march together. When they were finally combined in late 1943 for operations in Italy and Southern France, they are officially just known as the "French Army" as the "Free French" no longer existed as an official title for anything. It's just colloquial, popular usage.

Anyway, I have a lot of ideas, but not the means to put them into action, which is my primary problem. So over the next few months, I'll probably just look into getting Nationalist Chinese stuff modeled and see how integrating them works.

And yeah, to appease all the jokesters, I would probably get a surrender joke in good fun somewhere in a French map (a la Polish Sausages in Somewhere near Cassino map) if I ever actually go through with making them.
Last edited by Johannes on Sat May 24, 2008 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

MillHouse

Post by MillHouse »

Sup!
I want a Beer as Cold as my Ex-Wifes Heart.

(29th)MillHouse

Rab,d
Developer
Developer

Post by Rab,d »

K pasa, Luiso!?
Good to here from ya! You still into real life? :P
Take a break and play some dday!

GypsyLlama
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GypsyLlama »

Bingo!

Whats kicking buddy? You don't use Xfire do you? MSN does not work for me, I think it's the color of my skin.

What'cha been up to you crazy Spaniard?

[169th]Ken

Post by [169th]Ken »

I'd love to see a Chiang Kai-shek rifles,MP18 ,Mauser c96, ZB vz. 26 and even the Hanyang 88 even though they where known to fall apart after one shot. One of my Uncles was a captain of a NRA squad and I belived he had a Chian Kai-shek rifle, currently he is somewhere in Tawain. He marched from China to Vietnam to disarm the Japanese there but he couldn't return because the Communist cut him off. He married a local and stayed in Vietnam. Eventually Tawain found him and Flew him back, apparently they still recognize his squad and his rank. They owed him alot of overtime pay lol. I got another Uncle(desceased) Who fought for the French Foreign legion but thats a different story.
you know you want to click this: http://www.freewebs.com/169thinfanteriedivision/

greyfox
Developer
Developer

Post by greyfox »

hola senor,
que pasa?